Gordon Ramsey’s Shepherd Pie
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef or lamb
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 large onion grated
- 1 bag frozen peas
- fresh rosemary
- fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Worcestershire sauce several splashes
- 1 small can tomato puree or paste
- red wine several glugs
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 ½ lbs golden potatoes
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 ½ tbsp butter
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese can add more if needed
- Dice the garlic
- Separate your herbs from the stems
- Separate your Egg Yolks
- Peel and Slice your potatoes into even pieces
- Open your wine if it's not already
- Open your can of Tomato Paste
Cooking the Potatoes:
- This part is easy as pie (no pun intended), just boil some water, throw some salt and your potatoes in, and set a timer for 15 minutes
- start on your filling
- Upon the timer going off, take your potatoes out and strain the water off.
- Put potatoes back into the pan, or into a medium mixing bowl
- Mash the potatoes with their ingredients from above and keep warm (your filling should be about done by this point)
Cooking the Filling
- Pour Olive Oil into a hot, rather large pan, then add meat.
- Stir meat as if your life depends on it for a few minutes so it's nice and brown, and broken into very small pieces.
- Add your Rosemary, Thyme, and Garlic, then stir some more.
- Quickly add your Carrot, Onion, and frozen peas, stir a little longer. The idea at this point is to get everything to a minced consistency.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce, stir, add Tomato Puree, stir, add Red Wine and sweat down for a minute or two. Add chicken stock and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Scoop your meat mixture into a deep casserole or other oven safe dish and then spoon the mash over the top.
- Spread the mash over the top of the mix with the bottom of the spoon and then sprinkle a generous portion of Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Poke the top with a fork several times to give it a peaked look and stick it in the oven at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes to brown the potatoes and set the pie.
- Serve it up and watch people melt!