Scotch (Scottish) Shortbread
This recipe is from my Grandma, Martha Anne. This was hand written many (many) years ago, when I was but a wee laddie.
- ½ lb butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered or fine sugar
- 2 cups flour
- Cream thoroughly butter and sugar by hand.
- Add flour and work into a ball.
- Shape (into a round about 1/2 inch thick) and put down in greased pan.
- Mark with fork (either by poking holes in the top of the round or by pressing for tines into the top of the round).
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour (should be a light golden brown) in 350 deg oven.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar as soon as removed from oven and cut into squares.
I used to watch as Grandma made this. It was one of my favorite treats. I’ve tried to add comments (in parentheses) for clarification. I’m assuming that if you have any Scottish in you at all, this recipe will make perfect sense.