I’ve always been a fan of this carb-laden concoction. In my opinion, this is the perfect accompaniment to a basket of fried chicken. Served either freshly prepared and warm (my favorite), or chilled and served cold, this is a dish that always holds up as a hearty side. To cut back on fat and calories, I like to sub out some of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt. I promise such a substitution hardly diminishes the flavor – and besides, it makes you feel just a little bit better about having that second helping.
Southern Style Potato Salad
- 3 lbs red potatoes peeled and quartered
- ½ Vidalia onion finely chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs pealed and diced
- ¼ cup green olives with pimentos sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted water, bring potatoes to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Cook potatoes until they just give way to the pressure of a fork – do not overcook. Drain potatoes into a colander, allowing the steam to evaporate.
- Combine potatoes with remaining ingredients into a larger serving bowl, mix until incorporated, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to serve. Note – if chilled, add in a bit more mayo prior to serving to get the same creamy texture.