Sure, I’ve been known to use a canned concoction of condensed soup for green bean casserole from time-to-time, but this is not one of those moments. Instead, I skip out on that gel-like substance and create my own creamy sauce to layer with fresh green beans. Since we are already frying chicken, I toss in some onions for good measure to serve as a crispy and savory topping. The result? Oh yes – you’ll never go back to the canned stuff again!..
Not Your Momma’s Green Bean Casserole
- 2 lbs fresh green beans ends trimmed and blanched in hot water for 30 seconds
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 ½ cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 Vidalia onion peeled and cut into thin rings
- Make the sauce by melting the butter into 1/2 cup flour over medium heat, whisking until combined. Next, add milk, whisk until combined, and allow the mixture to reach a slow rolling simmer. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and fold the cheese in to melt completely.
- Meanwhile, toss the onions in a mixture of 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 tsp. salt until just coated. Add the onions into the same skillet used for the chicken and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove onions and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Next, layer the beans into a large casserole dish and top with the cream sauce. Top with onions and bake until bubbly, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes, and serve.