Snowcapped Gingerbread Biscotti
This recipe is one of my favorites to add to my holiday cookie trays. The cookies blend the great flavor of gingerbread and biscotti, plus a "snow"-dipped decoration. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup hazelnuts toasted and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup butterscotch chips melted
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, allspice and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in hazelnuts and ginger.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into two 10-in. x 3-in. logs. Transfer to greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets. Bake for 7-9 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Dip biscotti halfway into melted butterscotch chips; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper until set. Dip butterscotch-coated ends partially into melted vanilla chips; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutritional Information (each):
- 226 calories
- 10g fat (5g saturated fat)
- 27mg cholesterol
- 83mg sodium
- 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber)
- 4g protein